Thank you to all the Big Train fans who have signed up for our "We Are Big Train" Honor Roll. Your generous support helps keep us on track for a successful 2021 season.
Our cherished public spaces like Shirley Povich Field will be sources of healing after this difficult year. Big Train baseball will be a valued sign of our community's return to normalcy.
With the uncertainty about the number of fans to be allowed at Big Train games this summer and the challenges our community small businesses face, we know that revenue and game night sponsorships will be down this year. Recognizing this, our Board of Directors has acted prudently to reduce our 2021 budget by one-third. To be able to bring the fun back to Povich Field this summer, we need the continued support from our loyal Big Train fans like you.
The "We Are Big Train" MVPs and All-Stars listed below have pledged $22 and $10, respectively, per month for the next year to help us cover our shortfalls due to the COVID pandemic and maintain the "Small town charm and Big League talent" you come to love each summer at Povich Field. We are proud to display their names on our Honor Roll.
MVP Honor Roll
John and Linda Daniel • Ryan Cole • Salley and Jeff Shannon • Debbie and Dick Walker • Bob and Lily McKay • Bill Hickman
Jeff, Beth and Brian Haven • Bruce Adams in honor of Stella Thompson's first baseball game • Rebecca Crowley
Boisture Family • Silverman-Bennett Family • Tufail Ahmad • Steve Farber and Dee Curley • Tinsley Van Durand
Jill Kirkpatrick • Anders Julin • Austin and Owen Lieber • Terry Lierman • Ike and Catherine Leggett • Sebrechts Family
The Rosner-Wolpoff Family • Mary Beth and Jack Richards • Regan Family • Donovan Hinds and Judy Ozone
Patrick Chapman and Family • Vince Berg and Jeanne Nathan • Peggy Engel (Hugh Adams BT '06-'12) • Katelyn Engen
Chuck and Charlie Short • Adams/Garry Family in honor of Bruce Adams's many baseball games attended
Linda Hallman and Family • Luke Adkins (BT '06, '08-'09) • Jenny Sue Dunner • The Zavela Family • Tom Akins
In memory of Bill and Joan Shannon • The Casper Family • John Ourisman • In honor of Polly Webster • Skip Davis
Lisa Kammerman and Jonathan Abramson ("Bunt") • Elizabeth and Madeline Magnusson • Leon and Robyn Andris
Starr and Fred Ezra • Hank Greenberg and Moe Berg • Wyatt and Ryan Stewart (Wyatt Stewart BT '04-06)
Rob Cohen • Stuart Bindeman • Ken O'Regan • Clarence "Pint" Isreal and Russell Awkard • Nancy Kopp
All-Star Honor Roll
Niamh Brennan • Isabel Marbury-Mauro and Christopher Mauro • Mindy Portnoy and Philip Breen • Ira Lechner
Craig LaChapelle and Mollie Darby • Justin Arnold and Family • Rachel Northridge • Ramin Nejaddehghan
Joseph Boesch • The Korman Family • Donald B. Robertson • The Moreland Family (Keith Moreland BT '04, '06-'07)
Kasey and Dianne Kaseman • Peter Grunwald • Connie Morella • The Barker Family • David and Krista Schauer Family
Barb and Randy Schools and Family • Faerberg Family • Bill Bronrott in memory of Keith and Michael Haller
Rhoda Ganz and Stacy and Steven Kahn in memory of Joel S. Ganz, M.D. and his passion for baseball
The Henry Family • The Lieberson Family
We Are Big Train
- “We Are Big Train” - We Honor Our Heroes. At Povich Field, we tell the story of baseball legends Walter Johnson and Shirley Povich. In 2020, we honored five community heroes. In 2021, we will honor the nurses, public safety workers, grocery store clerks, and others who have helped us through this crisis. Also, in 2021, we will unveil a sculpture of Shirley Povich interviewing Walter Johnson created by Toby Mendez, the artist who turned the heroes of Birdland into bronze at Camden Yards.
- “We Are Big Train” - We Win Championships. In twenty-one seasons, the Big Train has never posted a losing record. After winning the Griffith League in 2004, the Big Train has won the Cal Ripken League regular season championship ten of 16 seasons and won the league championship trophy eight times. In 2011, Big Train was named the nation’s number one summer college team by Perfect Game USA. Sixteen of our alumni have made it to the major leagues.
- “We Are Big Train” - We Serve Our Community. Big Train has always been about more than just the baseball. From 1999 to 2011, we invested $600,000 in improving youth baseball and softball fields from Germantown to Anacostia. Each year we donate tickets to forty community nonprofits and give them an opportunity to showcase their organizations to our fans. Since 2010, the Big Train and other Montgomery based Ripken League teams have collected 60,846 pounds of food for the Manna Food Center.
- “We Are Big Train” - We Provide Family Fun. We believe every kid deserves a great summer. For two decades we have provided family fun at affordable prices right near home. Marc Fisher of The Washington Post called Big Train baseball at Shirley Povich Field “the ultimate small-town fantasy… In a video game world, this is as retro a summer’s eve as most kids will know, and they can’t get enough of it.”
- “We Are Big Train” - We Inspire and Teach Our Youth. Each summer we bring more than two dozen outstanding scholar athletes from top colleges and universities across the country here to play for the Bethesda Big Train. These players serve as role models for our youth and teach them the fundamentals of baseball at the Big Train Summer Baseball Camp.